Thailand Freediving
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010

+2
Mee+
andrea
6 posters

Go down

Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010 Empty Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Following Mee's suggestion, let's open a new topic about this.

After several posts on the Deeperblue forum, the situation is now that
a) they want a generic "freediving insurance". not sure what it means...
b) they seem to have some financial problems, because TAT decided to withdraw sponsorship (rightly so in my opinion... since they didn't make any efforts to attract thai freedivers!). Result is that they cannot pay for Stepanek's presence, ok not so important, and other strings attached about the status.

I will write some more on the Deeperblue forum. My situation is that I can go, I will be in Thailand and I have those days free. Most likely I would like to fly to Krabi and arrive a few days early. And maybe drive back with Mee/Chat if they go.
I hope things become clearer soon... Walter are you reading this forum? What are your plans?

Andrea

แก้ไขล่าสุดโดย andrea เมื่อ Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:00 pm, ทั้งหมด 1 ครั้ง

andrea

จำนวนข้อความ : 56

http://www.andrearichichi.com/fd/index.html

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010 Empty Re: Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010

ตั้งหัวข้อ  Mee+ Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Sorry man,
I've been busy for the whole week. I red ur n' other fellow discussion in the Deeperblue forum. I don't know about diving insurance ,even scuba. I think I never have. How n' how much to get it ?
Mee+
Mee+

จำนวนข้อความ : 105
ที่อยู่ : Bangkok

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 pm

It seems to me the best would be to call directly the Koh Lanta people... if one of you could please.
If they insist on an individual insurance for each diver, I will not do it.

andrea

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 pm

I called Laurent today and he told me that actually they won't require
the insurance anymore :-) We will be insured on a daily basis by them.
I will definitely try to go, I need to get a medical certicate and a flight
but hopefully no big problems there.

Walt is going too... who else? Very Happy

andrea

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:37 am

Hi all, so I am back to Bangkok... the competition was nice, fun, tiring, with a few little glitches in the organization and judging... but overall quite happy to have been there. With me there were Walt, and a new thai freediver Aey from Phuket ... welcome! cheers
On the 11th we did 3 depth disciplines... it started ok with CWT, but then the current grew stronger and stronger. By the time we got to CNF, it was pretty bad. Both Aey and I had problems in our attempt, while Walt had just decided to give up the whole depth events under those conditions and save energy... probably wise since the trip by boat was really tiring.
Next day we were in the pool, which also was not ideal... 41m length, shallow, strange shape, and especially no visibility at all! But Aey did quite ok! I did also what I had planned more or less, while Walt did not hit a good day and gave up STA early, also because the comments on the loudspeaker were sometimes a little distracting.

Anyway, we have tons of pictures and I plan to write soon some blog with more details and pics. We did not really get to see the final results, but they were announced only by voice and the prizes were given. I was first among men both in depth and pool, and Aey was 3rd among women... the prizes were quite rich cheers It was really a well sponsored comp. Then long trip back... but I am very glad I was there, many new friends and many memories. Pity Mee and Chat could not make it pale
Hope to see some of you here...!!!

andrea

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 pm

andrea

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  Mee+ Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Good to hear U did great this time. The photos are also nice. Too bad I didn't make it this time pale
Mee+
Mee+

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  ah Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 am

Hi, Andear

Nice pic la. I met my instructor Richard & Shara in first day of competition at Rawi Warin. why i not see you!!! I remeber only lady had alway red lipsss

Hi, K. Chat

Richard, Shara & me hope to see you this competiotion too but you not comeeee...

Ah

ah

จำนวนข้อความ : 2

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  a-bad Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks for Pictures and results, Andrea drunken
a-bad
a-bad

จำนวนข้อความ : 49

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  Nae Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 am

Hello everyone,

Congratulations to those who joined the competition, especially Khun Aey, a Thai freediver in the event.
I had a chance to meet her in Phuket recently. She also passed me the words to freedivers in Bangkok to come
and visit her in Phuket. She can find a place for depth training around her place, if you feel like to train with her.

Dear Andrea, it would be nice if you could update the comp. on our blog soon (before i'm out of town :-)

So, it seems that we have more and more freedivers in here, but no chance to meet an train together yet.
Hope we can see and train together some day soon.

Nae
Nae
Nae

จำนวนข้อความ : 90

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  พรุนยักษ์ Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks for the update news Andrea, seem like a lot fun Very Happy

พรุนยักษ์

จำนวนข้อความ : 13

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  andrea Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Some more info in this article
http://underwaterasia.info/news/news.php?IdNews=128
I think the author writes also for a Koh Lanta english magazine, it would be good to grab
a copy and keep it for our memories...

andrea

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  Mee+ Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Copy from http://underwaterasia.info/news/news.php?IdNews=128
Italian competitor Andrea Richichi was the toast of Koh Lanta this month after he swept the boards affraid in the third annual Andaman Freediving Challenge,( cheers ) the only competition of its type in Thailand.

The 52-year old reached a depth of 53 metres in the constant weight category and managed an equally impressive breath-hold of six minutes and 33 seconds during the confined water competitions at the Rawi Warin resort on the picturesque island.
After winning each of the six categories in both in the open sea and the pool over three days, the Italian donated an estimated 21,000 baht lol! in prize money to two local charities, the Children of the Forest and Lanta Animal Welfare.

"I have never been a scuba diver, but I have always loved being under water,” said Richichi. “When I grew up, scuba diving wasn’t an option. I have never done any courses, but you really do learn a lot at competitions and you get to meet very good people. This competition has a wonderful atmosphere and it’s in a country that I love!”"
The most striking thing about this year’s Andaman Freediving Challenge was how friendly the competitors were with each other throughout the three days and how keen they were to help each other out with advice and tips to extend their time underwater.

Freedivers learn how to hold their breath for long periods without the aid of scuba equipment. Eight male and four female divers took part in Koh Lanta this year, many of them competing for the first time.

Ossien Pekkala from Finland and Australian Jay Davidson were the other prize winners in disciplines such as constant weight, static, and dynamic. Pekkala, who only took up Freediving at the end of last year, was delighted to reach 30 metres on a single breath.

The women’s competition was won by Jacinta Colvin, from Melbourne, who was inspired to take part in the Andaman Freediving Challenge after hearing about last year’s competition from friends in Australia. She reached depths of over 30 metres in her first ever competition and managed to hold her breath for just under four minutes in the pool.

Jacinta would have set a new Australian record when she reached a depth of 36 metres on a free immersion in the open sea, but for a slight technical breach which saw her receive a yellow card. After the initial disappointment of missing out on a national record, she was thrilled to register a number of new personal bests at Koh Lanta.

"It’s been really, really good and really friendly here and I feel I have learned so much over the three days. It’s great to get to hang out with other Freedivers and I feel so much more confident now," said Colvin, who organised a two week holiday in Koh Lanta around the competition.

The organisers, Blue Planet Divers, encouraged beginners and intermediates to take part, among them Phuket-based Petchrung Sukpong, who only learned how to Freedive two weeks earlier. She was thrilled to reach a depth of 20 metres on a single breath, a personal best, and found that the experience was akin to meditation under water.

"This competition is perfect for the beginner, because it is so friendly, and I think I have learned a lot over the three days. I had never even thought about going into a competition before and now I’m thinking of going on and doing the Advanced course."

The Andaman Freediving Challenge, which is run by Blue Planet Divers, takes place in mid-February each year.

Source: UnderwaterAsia.info

แก้ไขล่าสุดโดย Mee+ เมื่อ Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:01 am, ทั้งหมด 1 ครั้ง
Mee+
Mee+

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ตั้งหัวข้อ  Mee+ Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Big hands to Andrea lol!
Mee+
Mee+